The pause in the fighting in Aleppo is part of a humanitarian cease-fire announced by Russian Federation in the contested city to allow for the evacuation of civilians and fighters.
But by Friday evening, no evacuations were seen along the corridor, reflecting the intractable nature of Syria's civil war, now in its sixth year.
Save the Children is reporting widespread use of cluster bombs recently in besieged rebel-held eastern neighborhoods of the Syrian city of Aleppo. Still, continued extensions of the current ceasefire seem like they'll inevitably convince people it's safe to flee in the day, even if the nights are still rent by fighting.
Syrian President Bashar al-Assad has used siege and bombardment to force rebels from areas they control around Syria's main cities, letting them leave with their families and light weapons and surrendering territory to the government.
On Wednesday, Russia called on civilians to leave Aleppo, warning that a new offensive would begin once the ceasefire ended.
Russian Federation and the Syrian army have called on residents and rebels in Aleppo to leave the city through designated corridors and depart for other insurgent-held districts under a promise of safe travel.
The UN said Friday security concerns had forced it to delay planned evacuations from Syria s Aleppo, as Russian Federation extended a truce that was largely holding for a second day.
The council was expected to vote later in the day on a resolution that would call for increased monitoring of crimes in Aleppo.
Syria sends warning to Turkey
However, Arab forces, and not Kurdish ones, are expected to be the ones to take the city itself, U.S. officials say. The PKK is proscribed as a terrorist organization by Turkey , the European Union and the United States.
Laerke only noted an "astronomically hard situation".
Residents of eastern Aleppo have said many won't use the corridors because there are no guarantees they won't be arrested by government forces. He spoke to reporters in Geneva. But rebels have said they can not accept the ceasefire, which they say does nothing to alleviate the situation of those who choose to remain in rebel-held Aleppo, and believe it is part of a government policy to purge cities of political opponents.
He further urged the Security Council to set aside rivalries and act as one, in accordance with worldwide security and peace, and said "Influence must be used to advance a political solution to the conflict".
United Nations human rights chief Zeid Ra'ad al-Hussein had earlier told the council that Aleppo had become "a slaughterhouse" after weeks of bombardment.
Zeid, a Jordanian prince, says rights violations and abuses in Syria, in rebel-held eastern Aleppo and beyond "constitute crimes of historic proportions".
The Syrian government has opened a corridor for rebels and civilians who want to leave the besieged eastern neighborhoods of the city of Aleppo.
He said the "collective failure of the worldwide community to protect civilians and halt this bloodshed should haunt every one of us". Buses and ambulances were parked by the roadside, waiting to take evacuees. More than 2,000 civilians have been wounded.
The Russian Defense Ministry unexpectedly announced the pause Tuesday after a weeks-long bombardment of the Syrian city.