Eleven of them were schoolchildren and one was a tutor.
The fire at the Turkey dormitory was reportedly caused by an electrical fault.
Twenty-two others were injured in the blaze after jumping out of a window to escape the flames. It is pertinent to mention here that the girls who died were 14 or younger.
Security officials stand out the damaged building in Aladag, Adana, Turkey, Wednesday, Nov. 30, 2016.
An worldwide news agency reports that Turkish television showed flames rising from a multiple-story building and firefighters battling the fire.
The governor said the fire broke out at around 7.25pm on Tuesday and was brought under control about three hours later.
However, there are fears that the schoolgirls may have been unable to escape while the mayor claimed that it was likely that a fire door had been locked. "Children could not open it. Bodies were found there", he said.
Tallow tensions: Vegans want 'fat-free' UK 5-pound bank note
Clive Shrubsole, a researcher at University College London and a vegetarian, called for the notes to be removed from circulation. The Bank claims it was unaware of the traces of tallow when it signed the production contract with supplier Innovia.
Numerous students were reportedly asleep when the fire broke out in the two-story building and were unable to escape.
Local media said the dormitory was run by one of the several religious movements in Turkey that operate such facilities.
A full investigation is underway to discover how the blaze started with the wooden interior of the building thought to be the reason behind the fire spreading so quickly.
With the burning of the wooden floor, the roof then entirely collapsed, he said.
The ministry of education said that the dorm's capacity was about 54 people but only 31 students had been staying in the dorms.
Mahmut Demirtas, the governor of Adana, said some students were injured when they jumped from windows to escape the fire. However, such disaster is unusual.