A 25-year-old sea turtle in Thailand who swallowed almost a thousand coins tossed by tourists seeking good luck died Tuesday, two weeks after having surgery to remove the coins from its stomach. The weight of the money inside her had cracked her underside shell and threatened a fatal infection. Doctors told BBC News the large sea creature died from blood poisoning, which she developed after the initial seven-hour operation on March 6 to remove coins weighing a total of 11 pounds from her body. But she never woke up from a second emergency surgery.
Omsin, estimated to be 25 years old, had been rescued by Thai navy personnel who saw her visibly ailing in the seaside town of Sattahip.
Bank the turtle has passed away, and her nickname is a devastating reminder of what took her life.
Bangkok's Chulalongkorn University vet Dr Nantarika Chansue confirmed that the turtle died from blood poisoning from all the coins that had corroded or dissolved inside her stomach.
Rebels and Syrian regime clash near Damascus
It aired footage from Abbasid Square, typically buzzing with activity but now empty except for the sound of shelling. Control of Jobar has been divided between moderate rebels, government troops, and jihadists for more than two years.
CNN reported that the coins had been tossed into her pool by visitors for good luck. She swallowed the coins thrown by locals as a sign of good luck. When she revealed that the sea turtle had passed, the vet wrote, "Thank you for being my friend...."
"I felt angry that humans, whether or not they meant to do it or if they did it without thinking, had caused harm to this turtle", she said.
The metal had led to the underside of her shell cracking.
According to Reuters, the removal of the coins left a gap in Omsin's stomach that caused her intestine to become "strangled", which in turn blocked blood flow. It is listed as an endangered species by the International Union for Conservation of Nature.