Children create their own slime during Mattel's Take Our Children To Work Day workshop in El Segundo, Calif., in April 2007.
Kathleen Quinn's hands were covered in second and third-degree burns after she made homemade slime at her house in Rockland, Massachusetts. Quinn said she was happy when her daughter chose to do something educational. "I encouraged it, bought all the stuff". And then when it was gone, I bought more. "She was being a little scientist".
When she told her parents, they noticed the skin on her hands was turning red and beginning to blister.
"It felt like really hot and tingly", Kathleen says.
Kathleen has to sleep in splints until she's better.
Her parents rushed her to the hospital, where she was found to have suffered second and third degree burns on her hands.
Borax, or sodium tetraborate, is a natural mineral that has been used for laundry and house cleaning for more than a century.
Texas Senate bans some insurance coverage of abortion
IN has moved one step closer to making the superintendent for public instruction an appointed rather than an elected position. The bill to make Indiana's state school superintendent an appointed position will get a second chance in the Senate.
Problems often arise when kids use household cleaners in their DIY recipes.
"I just feel like a awful mother for letting her have access to this, " Siobhan Quinn told Sheinelle Jones on TODAY Wednesday.
Homemade slime is a do-it-yourself trend that once again became popular this year, thanks to social media.
A MA girl is recovering after she suffered second- and third-degree burns to her hands from the popular do-it-yourself slime project.
The U.S. National Pesticide Information Center, Oregon State University and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency also says contact with boric acid can be corrosive to the eye and cause irritation to the skin.
"So we believe that it's something that should be used exclusively for its intended goal as a cleaner or a laundry booster, not as something for children, particularly, young children, to play around with in making things like slime".